I took another crack at New look 6323. Only this time I thought I'd get a better fit. I took like an inch out of the shoulders, my neck to shoulder seam is only like 2 inches long!
I made the neck hole smaller, and it's still too big. I like me some crew necks.
I just serged the raw edge instead of hemming it for a little length, ok not really, it was a style choice. I wanted more white to show, but after washing it, it kinda rolls so you can't really see it anyway.
And do I look like a nun? I get a strong nun vibe.
So this is where shit gets weird. I thought I was pro and could just change the back piece. Instead of two pieces and some gathering I thought I could just cut it out as one big piece.
I just taped it together and went on my merry way. Well after I sewed it all together I had WAY too much fabric just hanging off my back. I looked like I was wearing a big sack. Not cute.
Enter this weird seam. I tried a dart. I tried shirring at the lower back. I tried and failed at a lot of things back there. I don't really want to talk about it. I wasted an hour fixing my fix. This looked ok so I gave up.
I def need to figure out which thread from the serger shows if the seams pulls open a bit. ack.
Well, lessons were learned. Something did dawn on me though which started my whole alteration adventure. I make custom clothing but they never fit like they are custom made. I just cut a generic size and hope for the best. I have spent the morning measuring the shit out of myself and drafting a new shirt out of Mccalls 6992. I'm going to try for some pajamas, even take a shot at leggings. I figured if I have as much trouble with fit as I did with this shirt, fuck it they are just pajamas.
If you're not sick of me yet, you can follow me on Instagram at pocketsandsleeves or if you'd like to watch my latest projects in the works, add me on Snapchat at pocketsandsleeves. You can always e-mail me at Pocketsandsleeves@gmail.com