Simplicity 1325

I did the impossible, I made a dress that fits like a glove!


Simplicity 1325

Sometimes you are inspired by the cover art on a pattern, and sometimes you straight up copy it.

Simplicity 1325


Simplicity 1325

It took me a month to get the fit right, which I will dedicate a whole other post to go over all that, but for now I'm showing off and running to a New Years party.


Simplicity 1325

It has pockets! and look at that fit!

skirt

Full disclosure I didn't make the shirt, I already own 8,000 striped shirts, that's why the stripes clearly don't match.

Simplicity 1325 back

It is made from tuxedo suiting fabric, which gives enough heft to not feel naked and keeps the body in the skirt without any under skirt or horsehair hem.

Simplicity 1325 front

I have never worn dresses because they never fit, or even come close to fitting. This fits better than my wedding dress!

dress lining

The top is lined. I used the same fabric because I have never really lined anything before and was nervous some would show, it doesn't. But it looks pretty slick in the inside.

black on black hem tape

I just serged the raw edges in the skirt, the only serging needed through the whole thing. Of course I used hem lace. I really went back and forth whether to use white or black, I'm glad I went black.

tailoring behind the scenes

The only down side of the whole dress is that it shows cat hair really easily. Here I am attacking it with tape. Nice little behind the scenes shot for ya.

You can follow me on Instagram at pocketsandsleeves or if you'd like to watch my latest projects in the works, add me on Snapchat at Orangeowl4. You can always e-mail me at Pocketsandsleeves@gmail.com

M6992 - Stripe Matching Like a Boss

Ok, ok, I might be have been obsessed with the pattern m6992. I've made it two more times. But I played around with it. I think I might be over it now though and am finally ready to move on.


I know I say it all the time, but, new favorite shirt! I worked really hard on the pattern matching. It normally takes me a few hours to complete this pattern from cutting to wearing, but this version took me 2 days.


I even sketched it out like a 3rd grader first. I bought the fabric at Hobby Lobby shopping for bottles again. Their fabric section lures me in every time. They were having a fall sale at 50% off. My hands were tied! I grabbed these 2 yards of the stripes for 6 bucks with no real purpose, but ended up drawing this out and went for it. I was worried the blue wasn't the right move, but it turned out the be the best idea ever.


This time around I rounded the hem. But after I was done it wasn't round enough. When I went in to take these photos I realized I HAD to change it.


It started off looking like a straight up straight hem with missing triangles on the sides. (I didn't want to set everything up and have it get in my way when sewing, so sorry for the bad selfie)


 I ran a few basting stitches up the bottom sides and created some gathers. Are they perfect? Not by a long shot, but it helped the overall look A LOT. It was just cutting me off in a weird spot and made me look like a brick with stick legs. Once I let my hips peek out I looked human again.


But just look at the pattern matching! I've never really had to do any before and this was my first real go at it. Even the angles from the raglan sleeve match up. Seams look invisible!


Pattern matching like a pro. Also what am I doing with my arms?


These weird arms are due to the victory of all the pain from pattern matching. I had to pin the fabric together even before I laid out the pattern pieces to be cut. The fabric is super light weight and luckily kinda sheer so I could see where/when a stripe went walking.


I marked off the stripes on both body pieces. For the sleeves I just lined up the arm pit stripe, and hoped for the best, knowing I had enough fabric to re-cut if it didn't line up right. It did the first time so you will be seeing this fabric again.


I used my big boy pins and tacked down every stripe. Make sure to pin as close to the edge as possible, leaving no room for the fabric to move on you. Looking at this you might be thinking, "Wouldn't that be hard to sew? I mean, you can only sew one inch at a time," and you would be right.


I even had a pretty bad panic when I jammed my machine with a pin once. I had to resort to taking scissors (super safe I know) and prying the cutting blade up a bit to make it let go.


This however was my biggest mistake. I had a small cup of pins sitting on top of my machine while I was attaching the sleeves. Well I knocked it off spilling 8,000 pins EVERYWHERE. In all the dashing around picking them up I must have shifted something somewhere and caught up some fabric where it doesn't belong. But don't worry this is only in the front.


There it is on the right. The only fucking spot where the stripes don't line up. I keep toying with the idea to add buttons on top of it. 


The blue btw were just some scraps I had laying around, no idea where they came from. It's a tad brighter in person too, it's like 80's spandex. I can only hope it was left over from some biker shorts some kid had to wear that his mom made.


This was my other version. It was made from a sweater knit I got at Hancock in the remnants bin (2 bucks!!). I made the neck and arm bands smaller this time and rounded the hem as well. Then I promptly stained it right in front. I have since gotten it out, but didn't know it was there until I took photos. Nothing really earth shattering here, so I won't bog you down with a shit ton of photos of it. 

You can follow me on Instagram at pocketsandsleeves or if you'd like to watch my latest projects in the works, add me on Snapchat at Orangeowl4. You can always e-mail me at Pocketsandsleeves@gmail.com